AA guardian or conservator is a legally appointed person who is charged with the responsibilities of care for another person. The laws of Minnesota provide the qualifications and guidelines for anyone wishing to serve as the guardian/conservator of another. Segal Duffek Moen PLLC is a Minneapolis law firm with considerable experience in guardianships/conservatorships in Minnesota.

Who Needs a Guardian or Conservator?

A guardian or conservator can be appointed in Minnesota for any person needing assistance making decisions, or who cannot make decisions for themselves, such as:

  • Minor children
  • Mentally handicapped
  • Temporarily incapacitated
  • Elderly/infirm
  • Those vulnerable to deceit or exploitation

Sometimes a person may request a guardianship or conservatorship over their property. The person alleged to be incapacitated or in need of a guardian has the right to object and the right to legal representation.

What are the Responsibilities of a Guardian or Conservator?

A legal guardian or conservator in Minnesota has the supervision or care of another person, known as a ward, as their responsibility. The guardian or conservator may not be the one who actually provides care, but they are ultimately responsible for the care and protection of the ward under their charge.

This includes decisions and provisions for:

  • The ward’s place of residence
  • Informed consent and supervision when the ward requires medical treatment
  • Consent and supervision when the ward requires non-medical services such as education or counseling
  • Making end-of-life decisions for the ward
  • Paying debts and other expenses for the ward
  • Gathering and protecting the ward’s assets
  • Managing the ward’s income, insurance and benefits
  • Protecting the ward’s autonomy and privacy
  • Reporting on guardianship activities to the court

Becoming the guardian or conservator of another person is a huge responsibility but it can generate great rewards, especially when you know you are providing the best care possible for a loved one. Segal Duffek Moen PLLC can provide assistance and counsel for guardianships or conservatorships in Minnesota. Call us today to schedule a consultation.